the past few years, we’ve seen how the damage to our precious environment has taken its effect on weather patterns ( climate changes ), flooding, to name a few, throughout the whole world. what used to be a fluke is now considered a reality and is bound to happen again.
the recent calamity the philippines experienced called “habagat” is bound to happen again and how we manage it when it occurs again is something that has to be prepared for “yesterday”. the situation won’t get better but will just worsen.
at this point, awareness of the environmental problems and what could be done to somehow lessen it’s effect on our lives is of prime importance. in the philippines, the masses have understand how they dispose of their garbage ( river, streets, ocean, etc. ) have a direct affect on the problem. drainage problems were a big factor for the ondoy flooding.
the proper government authority should already by now be aware of these habits and address the issue ( relocation, evacuation, etc ), got to do what needs to be done !
in highly industrialized countries, more companies have to be involved in providing solutions to this global matter. some german corporations started their “green” movement a decade ago and are now seeing positive results from their “bold” move ! profits have to sacrificed initially but in the long term, it’s a win win situation, not only for the corporation but for both the country and the world as well !
below is an old article i blogged sometime ago that could be an eye opener to some. nevertheless, information is information. there’s much more to add to this article, unfortunately, i don’t have the luxury of time now but for now, hope this would be of some help.
let’s do what we could to save our precious environment !
Environmental Problems and Solutions
The important environmental problems and solutions are dealt in this article. One should find some useful information on the different environmental problems and possible solutions to them through following paragraphs.
The environment that we live in and make use of, is being stripped off its precious components day by day. There are many angles from which the problem of environmental problem can be studied. Similarly, many different views come in to play if we need to find practical solutions to these problems. There are innumerable factors associated with conservation of environment and also these problems are interrelated. The activities as well as the lifestyle of human beings too plays an important role in how the surroundings/environment is affected. Till date, it is one of the major factor that has affected the environment of the Earth as it is in constant conflict with it. Let us therefore, understand the different environmental problems of today and try to find the best possible solutions to them.
Solutions to Environmental Problems
The list of environmental problems and solutions presented in this article should throw some light on how do we go about the conservation of natural resources.
Contamination of Soil
The soil is an important natural resources on earth. It is the medium used for growing crops which provide us with the necessary foods. The contamination which alters natural composition of soil affects the food chain and thereby, the entire ecosystem. Use of chemical fertilizers is a major cause of contamination of soil. Making use of organic fertilizers not only protects the soil from getting damaged, but also leads to the production of crops with less amount of toxic chemicals. Using organic fertilizers also provides wholesome nutrition to the plants/crops which, in turn, benefits the consumers. Contamination of soil is one of the important environmental problems and issues which need to be dealt with a lot of care and responsibility.
Following a vegetarian lifestyle can solve many of our environmental issues. Human beings have become so habitual to a non-vegetarian diet, they consider it quite natural. Now that the disastrous effects of indulging in meat-eating have been confirmed by United Nations and many different research organizations, we should rethink about what we consume. The greenhouse gases generated in order to produce food for a meat-eater are 7 times greater than those generated for a vegan diet. The above-mentioned stats reveal only the economic losses that result from meat-eating. The extinction of several animal species is the irreparable damage caused by this eating habit. Pollution and other environmental problems caused by automobile and industries seems negligible if compared with that resulting from meat-eating. Animal cruelty is another aspect associated with meat-eating which, no matter how important can’t be dealt in the context of information presented in this article.
The foods that we consume, originate mostly from hybrid varieties of crops. Conservation of the natural/locally found crop varieties is important from the point of conserving biodiversity. It is necessary to take proper steps in this direction i.e. to conserve these local varieties. It has been found that local varieties are far more nutritious than those created by the method of hybridization. The hybrid varieties are created keeping in mind a certain objective i.e. of increasing the yield, making the crop resistant to pests, etc. However, in the process of adding these characteristics, we lose out on the original genetic make up of these crops. Steps should therefore, be taken to conserve their local crop varieties.
This problem has prevailed for so many years and still we aren’t able to find satisfactory solution to water pollution. The indiscipline or lack of concerns about disposal of industrial waster is an important factor responsible for water pollution. Improvement in the recycling process is the possible solution for this problem. Implementing the strict guidelines set by the local governing bodies pertaining to waste water disposal should solve the problem to a great extent.
Hazardous Waste Disposal
The disposal of hazardous waste materials have a long-term effect on the environment. Plants, animals and human beings are all affected by this waste disposal. Different types of hazardous waste materials include pesticides, carcinogens, paints, solvents, teratogenic compounds, etc. Proper treatment of these wastes before disposal is the solution to this problem.
Depletion of Ozone Layer
The ozone layer protects living beings on earth from ultraviolet rays of sun. This layer is becoming thinner day-by-day due to pollutants like nitrogen oxide, sulfur dioxide, lead, particulate matter and carbon monoxide. Apart from the depletion of ozone layer, these emission of gases also cause several health problems. Keeping a check on these emissions is the solution to protect the ozone layer.
The topic of environmental problems and solutions is quite complicated and difficult to understand given the complexity/interrelations of different components of the ecosystem. It is however, the attitude/approach of human beings towards using the natural resources that is going to influence environment to a great extent. The knowledge of environmental ethics should also help in the conservation of natural resources.
Here’s some way you could help the Environment :
40 ways to to save the Environment :
1. Turn off unneeded lights even when leaving a room for a short time
2. Once your cell phone is charged, unplug it from the charger!
3. Set your refrigerator temperature at 36 to 38 and your freezer at 0 to 5
4. When using an oven, minimize door opening while it is in use; it reduces oven temperature by 25 to 30 every time you open the door
5. Unplug seldom used appliances
6. Purchase appliances and office equipment with the Energy Star Label; old refrigerators, for example, use significant more energy than newer models
7. Turn down or shut off your water heater when you will be away for extended periods
8. Use electric appliances only when you need them
9. Use compact fluorescent light bulbs to save money and energy.
10. Shut off electrical equipment in the evening when you leave work
11. Replace old windows with energy efficient ones
12. Use cold water instead of warm or hot water when possible
13. Buy green electricity – electricity produced by low – or even zero-pollution facilities
14. Eliminate mercury from your home by purchasing items without mercury, and dispose of items containing mercury at an appropriate drop-off facility when necessary (e.g. old thermometers)
15. Learn about alternatives to household cleaning items that do not use hazardous chemicals
16. Review labels of household cleaners you use. Consider alternatives like baking soda, scouring pads, water
17. Use traps instead of rat and mouse poisons and insect killers
18. Have your home tested for radon
19. Minimize pesticide use
20. Turn off computers and other appliances when not in use
21. Copy and print on both sides of paper
22. Reuse items like envelopes, folders and paper clips
23. Use e-mail instead of paper correspondence
24. Use recycled paper
25. Use discarded paper for scrap paper
26. Encourage your school and/or company to print documents with soy-based inks, which are less toxic
28. Purchase radial tires and keep them properly inflated for your vehicle
29. Walk or ride your bike instead of driving, whenever possible
30. Join a carpool to get to work
31. Check and fix any water leaks
32. Install water-saving devices on your faucets and toilets
33. Don’t wash dishes with the water running continuously
34. Install a low-flow shower head
35. Replace old toilets with new ones that use a lot less water
36. Avoid products with several layers of packaging when only one is sufficient (about 33 of what we throw away is packaging)
37. Use reusable plates and utensils instead of disposable ones
38. Use reusable containers to store food instead of aluminum foil and wrap
39. Shop with a canvas bag instead of using paper and plastic bags
40. Buy rechargeable batteries for devices used frequently
Below is a website that you may find useful :
The challenge we now face is how do we make the masses aware as they are the major cause of these environmental problems ……
Visit www.robertgsarmiento.org for blogs, news, case studies, updated rulings and property listings which you may find informative.
We are currently migrating all posts to www.robertgsarmiento.com which will be the main website and will advise you when ready.
Subscribe to my daily postings by filling in your email address at the SUBSCRIBE section located at the mid right hand portion of the webpage of www.robertgsarmiento.org
View properties you are looking for by using the SEARCH engine ( highlighted in Green on the right hand corner of the webpage ).
Finally, should you have a property for SALE or LEASE, let me know if our office could be of assistance.
Robert G. Sarmiento Properties
Professional Affiliation :
Philippine Association of Real Estate Boards
Member, City of Taguig Real Estate Board 2016 – 2017
Real Estate Broker’s Association of the Philippines 2000-2015
President, Greenhills Chapter 2008, 2009
Philippine Association of Real Estate Brokers
San Juan Mandaluyong Chapter 1998, 1999
PRC # 6569
02 5148481 ( direct line )
+ 632 5536051 ( trunkline )
+ 632 4781316 ( telefax )
+ 632 8561365 ( line 3 )
+ 632 8041701 ( line 4 )
+ 63 917 5364829 ( globe )
Email : [email protected]
Website : www.robertgsarmiento.org